With the number of websites built on WordPress increasing exponentially, the scramble for which is the best managed WordPress website hosting solution is getting amplified.
For a successful website, the traffic can go up in numbers by the day, and more the number of real-time users there are on your WordPress site, higher are the chances of performance issues. As a website owner, you need to stay on top of your website’s performance, continually optimizing it and ensuring that a surge in traffic does not crash it down.
User experience is what proves to be the ultimate differentiator between successful and unsuccessful websites. It is for these reasons that the website hosting solution you opt for is the absolute best and does the job for you with hassles.
We all know about the two famous WordPress hosts Kinsta and WP engine so this post is all about comparison of Kinsta vs wpengine to see which one is the better pick.
For the longest time, WP Engine has served to be the go-to solution for those looking to host their websites, such as those on WordPress. I love using WordPress website for it helps in me in ‘n’ number of ways in content marketing. It ensures the WordPress site performance WP engine stays up to the mark. It is a seasoned player in the market, and on this date, WPEngine hosts millions of WordPress websites. This hosting solution proves website owners with an array of features and benefits that have led it to be highly sought-after in the web community.
Why WP Engine is Popular Among Webmasters
Let us begin with our first candidate i.e., Wpengine to continue with our wpengine vs kinsta comparison. WP Engine has helped a lot many businesses establish a reliable online presence. Deploying a new website in short turnaround time and optimising performance for the increasing number of footfalls comes easy on WP Engine.
Once a business starts growing, it becomes highly reliant on its website, and over the years, WP Engine offer a stable hosting solution that keeps your site up and running with the excellent user experience. Also, there are several third party plugin that is not allowed in the Kinsta environment. For email marketers, it is always advised to use a third party email host instead of sending email from WP engine’s default mail services.
WP Engine offers solutions to all type of businesses as shown in the following snapshot:
Let us walk through some features of WP Engine that give us helpful insight into why website owners hotly pursue this solution all across the world. It will also help you to compare Kinsta vs WP Engine by the end of this article.
- When it comes to hosting up a website on WP Engine, the best part is that you don’t need to be a technical expert. For even those who are not very tech savvy, WP engine’s features makes it easy, since it does not require you to maintain different codebases on different servers.
- WP Engine also makes sure that every time a webmaster runs into some site issues, there are Support guys to handhold them and resolve the problems. That said, Engine WP is a robust and reliable solution that takes care of the fact that your website does not suffer from downtimes too often. This is a critically important factor since it determines your website’s reputation. Too many downtimes can impact the user experience, which goes on to create a negative impression about the site among users. So with WP engine’s platform, the outages are very few and far in between.
- WP Engine also gives you the facility to keep your website responsive so that it adapts to the varied screen sizes and platforms available out there. On this day and time, you can never pinpoint one kind of device or platform where most of your users land from or access your website. There is considerable diversity regarding the operating systems, smartphone sizes, desktop versions, browsers, etc. when it comes to general internet usage.
- You would want your website to be responsive to all platforms. This not only creates a healthy user experience but also puts you in the good books of Google. There are serious SEO benefits of having a responsive website, and WP Engine gives that to you. Both Kinsta and WP Engine have earned top tier status in the Enterprise category.
Now, having briefly gone through the benefits of hosting your website on WP engine’s platform (we will cover more in the subsequent sections of this document, where we compare WP Engine with Kinsta), the natural question may arise – why even bother looking for alternatives? Or to be more specific – how does Kinsta make any difference. The answers to both the question are worth exploring for.
Kinsta vs WP Engine : Benefits
Benefits of using Kinsta
Business and business development professionals need vital information, tools, and features to manage their companies better. Businesses depend on site pace and optimization, and experienced developers cannot afford to keep up with periods when hosts are not in use. You might be surprised to know that Kinsta was just recently named top tier again in customer review
Let us take into account the many advantages of hosting with Kinsta.
1. Powered by Google Cloud Platform
Google Cloud hosting operates Kinsta, so its servers run on the same cloud platform infrastructure Google cloud uses to power its goods.
It is essential since the hardware they run on is not limited to the cloud server entry level. It means your cloud hosting server dynamically scales to fit your website with an altered traffic increase. On the other hand, traditional server level need manual modifications to handle increased traffic levels, which can’t be achieved in real-time.
2. 100% Uptime Reliability
Even with design bombs that receive well over 120,000 unique visitors per month, Kinsta has been checked and record the uptime’s reliability rating by 100%.
Every day on each plan in Kinsta, Uptime checks are available, adding a total of 1.440 daily uptime checks. In reality, the Service-Level Agreement in Kinsta offers 99.9 percent uptime reliability and guarantees to refund your account if the error response codes are not right within 30 minutes.
3. Site Speed
On Kinsta ‘s servers, Design Bombs has an average 400 ms load time. It was 359 ms, the lowest time, and 499 ms at the highest time.
To accomplish this, Kinsta offers cutting-edge technology. The servers on Ubuntu 16.04 use the Linux 4.4 kernel, Python 3, OpenSSH 7.2p2, and Apt 1.2 kernel as of August 2016. Nginx, PHP 7.X, LXD, and MariaDB are other components of their infrastructure.
4. 24/7 Security
We already said, but it does more during this review of your server, that Kinsta performs the uptime controls every minute. These inspections also help to ensure DDoS Security is available on your site in real-time.
You are still actively searching for viruses and holding threats away with tight device restrictions using hardware firewalls. If your site gets hacked, Kinsta offers you with a patch. Kinsta has also scored “top tier” performance for five years in a row .
5. In-House Caching Plugin
Kinsta features an in-house cache capability accessible from the Dashboard of Kinsta. You can perform a full-page dashboard cache with this tool.
On each website, the plugin is activated and configured; however, you may ask your team to change it according to you. You should select your caching plugin at most other hosts.
6. One-Click Staging Site Area
Creating a staging area is simpler for Kinsta as you can have direct access to SFTP and MySQL in the staging site area. And it takes a few clicks to switch a site between living and entry level.
What is particularly useful is that, once you switch from stage to production, Kinsta automatically backs up the web’s live version.
7. Daily Backups
Kinsta offers regular site backups regardless of which plan you choose. Daily backups are stored off-site, encrypted, and allow you to roll back your site whenever you like.
And you have the option to restore a backup to either your production site or the stage venue.
8. Integrated CDN And Lots Of Data Center Options
Kinsta has an integrated CDN service agreement with KeyCDN. Depending on the package you chose, you get a certain amount of free CDN bandwidth. And if you wish, you can also use your CDN provider.
You can also use Google Cloud’s multi-regional deployment mode to select your own data center for each website. Kinsta currently provides 20 separate locations for data centers:
- Changhua County, Taiwan (Asia-east1)
- Council Bluffs, Iowa, USA (us-central1)
- São Paulo, Brazil (South-America-east1)
- Ashburn, Virginia, USA (us-east4)
- St. Ghislain, Belgium (Europe-west1)
- Jurong West, Singapore (Asia-southeast1)
- Sydney, Australia (Australia-southeast1)
- Netherlands (Europe-west4)
- Los Angeles, California (us-west2)
- Montréal (North America-northeast1)
- The Dalles, Oregon, USA (us-west1)
- Moncks Corner, South Carolina, USA (us-east1)
- London, UK (Europe-west2)
- Hamina, Finland (Europe-north1)
- Frankfurt, Germany (Europe-west3)
- Osaka, Japan (Asia-northeast2)
- Hong Kong (Asia-east2)
- Tokyo, Japan (Asia-northeast1)
- Mumbai, India (Asia-south1)
- Zürich Switzerland (Europe-west6)
You can use CloudPing to fill data centers around the world with your browser and send the results to Kinsta support staff if you’re unsure which data center you want to use. You can use the details to help you select the data center you wish to.
9. Free Migration of sites
On each package, Kinsta provides a minimum of one free migration site. You can ask Kinsta support workers to do it for you if you don’t want to get to the trouble of migrating to your platform or find it daunting. They can also give your site a temporary domain so that you can test it before they point your DNS to the nameservers of Kinsta.
10. Expert Support
Kinsta supports Intercom 24/7, which is a live chat tool always available. What’s right about this is Intercom, as opposed to other live chat tools:
- At all locations you are in, your Dashboard is still available for live chat
- Store transcripts of talk for later quick access
Because Kinsta concentrates only on WordPress sites, all WordPress website experts are supporting staff, which you would not get at an all-around host.
11. Developer Features
Kinsta is a great choice if you need a place to build your site, a test server to test drive themes and plugins, or a location to build business sites for customers. The Kinsta dashboard has a business function that allows you to organize your sites into individual dashboards. It helps you to make another dashboard for each customer for whom you work.
Consumers have access to their dashboards and no one else; you can connect other users to individual businesses.
The staging zone is a nice feature for developers, but you also have SSH access to use WP-CLI to update and perform other command-line functions. It can also be pleasing to hear developers using clients like HeidiSQL and Sequel Pro that Kinsta supports stable SSH tunneling to Google Cloud-Savings databases.
You can easily switch between Wodpress sites hosted by Kinsta, using PHP 7, PHP 7.1, or PHP 5.6, with PHP 7.1.
12. Month-to-Month Pricing
Some hosts announce monthly rates, but you have to pay at least one year in advance. The prices displayed on the hosting plans page are the actual prices that Kinsta requires you to pay each month. Kinsta has also released a new entry level plan of $30/month and moved their pricing based on the number of visits.
However, if you want to pay for a year, you are free for two months.
13. Honest Pricing & Advertising
One thing liked is that on your pricing page Kinsta is truthful. For instance, you know precisely how many visits you can expect per month or the number of PHP staff in your account. You can check out Kinsta’s managed WordPress hosting plans for all small or large businesses. Kinsta hosting plans starts at $30/month and powered by Google Cloud Platform. Kinsta have a 30-day money back guarantee on all the plans
Many less affordable hosts can publish “unlimited” X, but if you use too many services, throttle your website.
Benefits of using the WP engine
WP Engine is WordPress sites most popular website hosting platform. Created and run in Austin, Texas, 30,000 customers in 120 countries worldwide use the app. Depending on the individual user’s needs and varying from personal to business, you can purchase the platform at different prices. For your WordPress website, there are several reasons to use WP Engine.
Motor WP is very secure. Regardless of whether new features and add-ons are stable or bug-free, there are diligent security updates. Daily security scans are also available for hacking. Automatic daily web back-ups help avoid hacking or accident data loss. These measures assure the protection and privacy of users and trust in using the internet for their commercial websites. WP Engine offers a place to test plugins and improvements securely before they add them to the website. It ensures that the visitors to its website are not shocked by a plug-in that is not functioning correctly.
More than 100 employees at the WP Engine offers platform to users with technical advice and support. A compelling library of tools is also accessible to customers to learn about the WordPress site practices and make the most of the many features available. 24×7 live chat support is also available.
WP Engine has many features that make it easy and efficient to use the tool. WP Engine is supplied with custom EverCache technology to produce content as quickly as you can, as opposed to endless plug-ins for caching content. Multi-site capacity also enables you to organize and run many different websites to deliver new content. For companies using numerous websites and social media pages, it is especially important to increase brand consciousness and manage various products and activities.
The LargeFS Storage Property expands the storage space possible for users and makes it virtually unlimited.
With many other web hosts, WP Engine has many benefits. It has several payments depending on the difficulty of a platform solution. It also uses actual people to provide professional support so you can quickly decide what assistance you need.
Wp engine offers a 60-day money back guarantee for their new customers.
How Kinsta is Emerging to be a Great Alternative
There is no doubt over the sheer amount of feature-rich quality and flexibility of WP Engine, but that does not mean it is the best in every regard. There are some seriously good alternatives like Kinsta that have taken the game to the next level. Kinsta and WP Engine are mainly on the level playing field, but there are various specifics and areas where Kinsta does manage to outscore WP Engine, even though it is a relatively new and less known brand. An elaborate detail of this tool will help you to find which is better when you compare WP Engine vs Kinsta.
One glance at the product features and it does make you take notice. Kinsta is also being adopted rapidly by small to medium- to large-sized businesses, across a multitude of industries. And these businesses have, more or less, great things to say about the Kinsta hosting solution.
The experts in the internet field love doing experiments, and hosting trials is an exercise that we get to hear about a lot. The influencers with no biases or prejudices against or for a specific brand take up different tools and platforms that are launched in the market and run a thorough analysis on them, testing each feature as an end-user to see how comfortable and productive a layperson will find using the tools.
Likewise, Kinsta has seen its fair share of experimentation by experts. Its features and quality of service are compared continuously with WP Engine and a host of other solutions. If you are somebody contemplating on whether you should opt for Kinsta, this document will provide you sufficient details and a thorough comparison of Kinsta vs WP Engine. But before you segue into that, it is worth knowing that Kinsta has mostly gotten thumbs up from the WordPress site community.
Now that we have taken a brief look at Kinsta and WP Engine let’s see how they fare head-to-head.
Comparisons Between Kinsta and WP Engine
As mentioned earlier, both Kinsta and Wp Engine offer certain advantages over each other. Let us take a closer look at those:
While one wants a technology that gives them the room to spread their limbs and try out different things with their websites, not everyone has an indispensable budget. And it’s not just small- and medium-sized businesses that have budget constraints (in fact there is enough evidence to suggest that they spend whole-heartedly) it is the multinational brands too who allocate precise budgets to projects. The good news is that both Kinsta and WP Engine offer entry level plan. WP engine’s entry level plans starts at $35 per month for one site which is $5 more than Kinsta.
So, how do Kinsta vs WP Engine fare on the cost metric?
WP Engine is expensive. It is costly up to the point that it becomes inaccessible for website owners who do not have deep pockets. A much lot is comprising of webmasters who want to buy WP engine services but are deterred by the prices.
The cheapest plan by WP Engine starts at $22 per month, and while it may still suit a lot of business users, this package lacks some very critical features, like the 24/7 ticket support or the customer success management facility. The next cheapest package starts at no less than $86 per month. Now, this is the kind of price that makes you glide over WP Engine without paying any notice, because the price tag is too overwhelming and clouds everything else. Even at this price, the only relevant thing you are getting extra is imported SSL certificate and 24/7 phone support.
The packages of WP Engine go up to 828 Dollars per month, followed by a custom package. But that’s not the end of it. WP Engine has a limited geographical presence.
Where does Kinsta stand in this regard? Ahead, just slightly. Kinsta hosts your websites over the Google cloud platform. What this does is that it makes hosting sites a far reasonable exercise that is easy on your pockets. Of course, it also means that your website is running on a large hosting platform, but we will come to discuss this benefit in later points.
While the Kinsta packages are not very reasonable, the cost is saved by Kinsta having a vast global presence, which currently stands at having data centres in 17 cities around the world. So whether you live in hotshot cities like London, Sydney, Mumbai, Frankfurt or California or you live in lesser known parts of the world like Changhua County or Hamina, you can avail the Kinsta services without any additional cost.
Check out the pricing details for Kinsta and WP Engine in the below images:
- WP Engine is a pioneer in web hosting, and when it comes to the performance metric, you can rest assured that hosting your website on WP Engine means running a site that operates on high performance.
- Kinsta does not lack in this regard either though. By it running on Google Cloud platform, the shortcomings that are typical of the usual hosting services are not to be seen here. It further makes it optimised for high performance, which also means that you may be drawing in a massive amount of traffic, but you won’t notice so much of a blip in a website’s performance. Google Cloud platform is too powerful for that kind of a thing.
- If you dig deeper, the Kinsta website informs that for each site hosted on their platform; they make use of the LXD managed hosts and orchestrated LXC software containers. This ensures that your website is not on shared hosting platform. Essentially, Kinsta does not offer shared hosting – a reason alone to trust their promise of high performance.
- Coming back to WP Engine, they provide their hosting services over a large platform that WP Engine is. You get an entire server dedicated to your website, and multiple VPS nodes are working in tandem for delivering service to your site. The combination of this feature ensures that there are minimum downtimes and even the surge in traffic is not affecting your website in any way. WP Engine also provides Google cloud platform for hosting where if there are glitches, they are spread across multiple servers, so the effect is minimised. That said, the Google cloud platform services do cost a fortune.
- WP Engine has become a brand over time. This is the first resort for developers all across the length and breadth of industries. Over time, as WP Engine has evolved and grown stronger, it is armored with a considerable array of tools and customizing options that are aimed to make the life of a developer easy. While that is true to a certain extent, all these tools have also made WPEngine a kind of platform that can confuse the workflow. While there is no end to the features and accessibility options in WP Engine, the same features and opportunities seem to be a little more developer friendly in Kinsta. As for the specific features that both Wp engine Kinsta provide, they include SSH access to developers. There are different plans for Git on Business too.
- Kinsta makes it furthermore comfortable for developers by allowing them to make use of custom setups such as Bedrock and Trellis. WP Engine makes it easier for users that aid the developers in implementing the modifications residing in the staging environment to the production environment. All with just a few clicks whereas Kinsta scores are in the fact that it does not make things confusing for developers unlike WP Engine that offers legacy version and their new version. Their legacy environment also has some shortcomings that developers have a hard time finding a workaround to.
- To talk more about the staging environment feature, developers can use Kinsta to run a different version of PHP for each a website that is in production. But there is a drawback with Kinsta where WP Engine scores, and it is worth knowing more details of. Other than the features mentioned, the staging environment in Kinsta is pretty basic. To be specific, when a user wants to migrate from staging to production, they have to migrate everything.
- Kinsta does not provide the user with the choice to migrate only the files or the database to production. This proves to be a bummer when a site owner only wants to make minor modifications to the website or just a couple of significant changes which do not have an impact on other individual elements. They will have to pick the complete versions, make changes, and migrate the entire version back again. This is a significant hassle. As opposed to this, WP Engine enables migration on the file or database basis. If you have just a few changes to be made, you can make those tweaks and get them migrated, without having to migrate the entire site again.
- Also, Kinsta provides users with the enabled-by-default feature for the post and page revisions, as this give users the choice to keep them turned off or on. Some add-ons ensure the search feature works with a lot more speed and efficiency than the one in other platforms.
- The threat of data loss looms large over any form of business. And because we are living in a business environment that is driven by data, any kind of data loss can be catastrophic to the given company. This is the chief reason why backups came into being. Now while most platforms provide the feature to take out your website’s backup, the automatic restoration may be missing, or if that is provided, you may not be able to restore the backup to both, the production as well as the staging environment. But WP Engine and Kinsta provide the website owners with this very feature. So data loss fears can be bid goodbye once and for all.
When you compare WP Engine and Kinsta, security will always play a vital role. Security is one aspect which you want your hosting solution to pay special attention to, and for very apparent and historically discussed reasons. The internet world is rifled with stories how intrusions on the web have demolished businesses beyond repair or even in the case of companies that recovered from such an event, the loss in millions made their progress staggeringly slow. This is where WP Engine stands out.
Make no mistake about it – Kinsta takes the security aspect very seriously. It has a robust platform in place that makes it hard for anyone to break through, but WP engine’s security game is on another level altogether.
- There is a risk of malicious code that often manages to leak in by writing to the file-system of a given website. What causes is the fact that the theme or plugins installed in a site is often vulnerable to the code injection. WP Engine protects your website by restraining the processes that enable the write to disk feature. Also, every time something gets written to the disk, it is logged so that the tracking code and the possible malicious items on it is possible.
- Both WP Engine and Kinsta have system scanners in place which ensure that you are not installing compromised plugins. These plugins when detected get disabled automatically.
- The fact that WP Engine Kinsta provide dedicated environments to websites also make sure that your website is not in the vicinity of vulnerable websites. That said, this feature has more impact on the performance of your site speed since it ensures your site is not sharing processing power, memory, disk space and other essential resources with any other websites.
Below is a small snapshot of how Kinsta takes care of the security of websites hosted on its platform:
When marketing has achieved its objectives, and leads have turned into customers, the next critical step in the funnel is to serve and delight the customers. For a product like a website hosting solution, this last step becomes even more critical. As this article is Kinsta WP Engine comparison let us see how they fare in this field.
Whether a website owner is a greenhorn who just set up a website through a friend’s help or is a technically sophisticated individual, everyone needs the after-sales support services for a variety of reasons. And when we compare Kinsta and WP Engine none of them disappoints on this front either. Both Wp engine Kinsta offers 24/7 support via multiple platforms, including a live chat support.
That said, the support facility works in different ways for each. WP Engine has different representatives for different support levels. The whole support process is organized systematically, and for different kind of issues, you are redirected to the relevant support level.
Kinsta keeps the support team structure flat from a caller’s perspective. It is structured so that there is not a lot of redirection and back and forth. Whether it is basic level queries or more advanced issues associated with highly functional WordPress sites, both companies’ support teams are equipped with a bunch of competent and helpful professionals who resolve problems in the quickest turnaround time possible, also making sure there are minimum hassles along the way.
Quality support team is at the heart of the support services of both the companies and as a website owner, there is a minimum scope for disappointment.
Content Delivery Network
While there is a host of applications and other infrastructure that Kinsta and WP Engine deploy to guarantee high performance, their Content Delivery Network partnerships further elevate the performance standards of the hosted websites. It is always a great idea to get the load off the server and let CDN receive and relay all the requests coming in from the browser, and this is where both these service providers deliver an ace.
Kinsta is using the services of KeyCDN; it is a highly reliable HTTP/2 content delivery network that caters to the need for speed of websites and delivers on it. Kinsta also provides as part of their offering free bandwidth, the offer that stands valid across all their plans. The elements like high throughput and low latency make the network even stronger and reliably fast. In effect, the content of a website gets delivered from 33 POPs spread across the planet.
The CDN provider for WP Engine is MaxCDN, and they have a pretty solid reputation in the market as well. There is a difference though – as opposed to 34 locations of Kinsta CDN, WPEngine only has 19 locations, missing out on a few regions.
GDPR and CCPA update:
WordPress website community has introduced GDPR and CCPA compliant plugIn and WP Engine and Kinsta both being a part of it is automatically enabled with it. This plugin is a core part of Wp engine and Kinsta which allows users to add checkboxes and make changes as per the new data protection laws.
A quick comparison of Kinsta vs Wp Engine to make things a bit easier for you:
Hope you have complete context on Kinsta and WP engine hosting solutions now. If you have any more questions related to Kinsta Wp engine, don’t hesitate to write-in.
Questions related to comparison of Kinsta vs WP engine:
Which is better- Kinsta or WP engine?
Kinsta offers a better option as compared to Wp engine’s benefits. Some of the reasons are security, customer support, and more pricing options.
With Kinsta you will not have to worry about the website performance or other hosting related issues.
How much does WP engine cost?
Wp engine is available in 4 plans:
What is the use of web hosting service and how can it improve my website?
Web Hosting services help to improve the user experience by providing better performance of the website. You have plenty of options to customise your website at your will. It make sure that with a sudden surge in the traffic your site doesn’t crash down also you get enhanced security.
Is there any free web hosting platform?
Yes, you may find some free or dirt cheap web hosting platforms. But, they are free or available at such a low price for a reason and that is they lack the services and quality that you need.
What are the basic differences between Kinsta and WPengine?
The major difference between both tools is pricing. Kinsta is available in various plans while WPengine offers just 4 plans.
Secondly in terms of support Kinsta doesn’t have phone support but WPengine provides 24/7 phone support.
Why do I need a managed WordPress hosting service?
A managed hosting service helps you to customize your website as per your needs.Managed WordPress hosting also offers greater security and enhances site performance.
Managed hosting will also ensure that your website is always prepared to handle a high surge in traffic without crashing.